Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wait, What Happens Next??

Cliffhangers! Don't you just love to be reading along in a book (or on your e-reader) and suddenly it's over. Of course it is at an inconvenient place for the reader. "Suddenly there was an explosion, he looked up and saw a huge black mushroom cloud fill the sky." THE END! Wait, what happens next?? You can't just leave it like that! Oh, but they do. 


I just finished a book today that had the most terrible cliff hanger ending. Not terrible, like the book was bad, but terrible because now I have to wait for a sequel. It is a book that hasn't been releases yet but I received it for review. It is the author's debut novel, and so I didn't even know if there would be a sequel. 


Here I am all emotional and into this book, when suddenly my Kindle won't go to the next page. First I thought my Kindle was broken. Then I realized, my gosh, that is the end! I went searching immediately for information on the author. Found the website, and thank goodness, there is a book two in the series! Wow, I was worried. 


So now the waiting sets in. Since the first book hasn't even been released, that means even more waiting. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of a good cliff hanger. I just hate waiting to learn the fate of the people in the book. I'm glad I have so many other books to read while I wait.


Watch for the review of Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne. I will be posting it closer to the June 5th release date. Let me know in the comments what you think of cliffhangers!

2 comments:

  1. It's worse when an entire series ends, as in completely ends on a cliffhanger. When I was much younger I was a big fan of the series "Animorphs" (spoilers) The last page of the last book has them going head to head with a baddie... and the book ends in a note from the author. (end spoilers)

    I feel cliffhangers are for Hooks, and shouldn't be used at the end. I know you don't want to make the fans angry that the ending isn't what they wanted, but I want an ending, good or bad, a conclusion to all the emotion I put into what I'm reading. Sometimes a cliffhanger at the end feels like a cop out.

    But maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE cliffhangers! Seriously. I guess I just need closure :)

    ReplyDelete