Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Books I'd Recommend As Good Beach Reads
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This weeks topic is the Top Ten Books I'd Recommend As Good Beach Reads. Having never been to the beach, I googled and asked around about what makes up a good beach read. Personally I will read any book at any time and any where. I would assume though that not everyone wants to read Harry Potter or The Host at the beach. Many people seem to be in agreement, a beach read should be a quick read, it should be enjoyable, and have a good plot, nothing too over bearing so you don't get too wrapped up in it. The beach is for relaxing, so a relaxing kind of book. So on that note, lets see if I can come up with a worthy Top Ten of Beach Reads!
1. The Summer I Learned to Dive by Shannon McCrimmon. This is a really great read. It is about a young girl who spends the summer with her grandparents she has never truly met. She learns that life doesn't always need a plan.
2. The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland. This is a story of a girl who is discovering who she really is. Not the soon to be college student and lawyer her parents want her to be. Instead she spends the summer on an island with her aunt and finds out who she really is, and a little love too.
3. Mai Tai Butterfly by JoAnn Bassett. This is such a great book. The setting is Hawaii, so how more beach could you get. When Nola learns her husband is having an affair she runs away with her friend to spend time in Hawaii. She learns Hawaiian customs, learns who she can be without her husband, and finds out what love can really be like.
4. The Memory of Roses by Blair McDowell. Brit's father leaves her a villa on a Greek island when he dies. He also asks her to deliver a package to a woman he knew there. So begins a very interesting book. I loved this book. You get to read Brit's story and her father's as well.
5. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. I know most everyone read this in school. I think it would make a good beach read. It is relatively short but there is definitely substance.
Well there is my Top Five Books I'd Recommend As Good Beach Reads. Yep, I couldn't come up with ten, but I also couldn't miss another Top Ten Tuesday. I cannot wait to see what everyone will choose for beach reads. My mother-in-law suggested that I look into Dorothea Benton Frank's books. They are her go to beach read. Figure I should check them out, just in case I ever go to a beach.